Catching up on some posts and recent work.
A Chaos lad from another Spearhead purchase. I don't think that I have painted a chaos warrior since my original Kaleb Daark back in the 1980s (he must surely be due a repaint).
Base Coat was Colour Forge Dead Animal bits, with a white drybrush.
All of the armour had a layer of Retributor Armour Gold, which then got a wash of Nuln Oil. The base armour then had a liberal coverage of Blood Angels Red contrast. I was hoping to get a nice metallic effect, and I think I got it. The exposed gold was left as is.
The face initially had several washes of Dreadful Visage, but the coverage on that contrast paint is terrible. In the end a light coverage of Gulliman Flesh got the effect I wanted. I think the horns may need a little more shading and colour though.
I wasn't 100% sure on the purple cloak at first (Sigvald Burgundy) but the more I look at it the more convinced I am that it was the right choice to go with something that clashed a bit with the red armour.
Just a quick comment on the miniature itself. Assembly was pretty easy, although I'm not sure how I'd feel about a whole unit, and there wasn't actually too much detail. I was a bit nervous that painting would be a chore but, on the whole, it wasn't. But that does bring me to a sort of criticism.
The multi-part nature of the modern models allows for some interesting posing and lots of detail but, on this one, it also resulted in some parts of the model that were hard or just impossible to paint post assembly - like the backs of the legs, or the inside of the cloak. Mostly they're not visible, but just sometimes you can glance at them. The answer would be painting in sub assemblies but that comes with its own issues: (1) I don't want the faff, (2) you can end with miss-matched paintwork or a need to touch up, (3) you can't always tell which bits will be hard to paint. Oh, and (4) I don't want the faff.
Right, he's off now to collect some skulls for the Blood God, gotta keep meeting those KPIs!




No comments:
Post a Comment