Monday, 29 June 2015

First panzer iv complete (finally!)

After my airbrush problems I had to go a different direction with the Panzer IVs.  German armour camouflage wasn't particularly standardised, with the brown and green added by individual maintenance crews using whatever was available: sprays, brushes, rags, etc.  In the end I decided to go with a 'hand applied' look.  Quite pleased with the result overall.


EDIT: Just realised that I've but the back piece on upside down!
I've fixed this on the remaining two panzers,  but to late for this one



Still too more to do.  German armour takes much longer to paint than British, flat green is much easier to do!

The PSC panzers are a lovely kit though.  Still a fast build but more complex than the Churchills were, and the instructions could do with improving.  Other than that, highly recommended.

Sunday, 28 June 2015

Airbrush Woes

Had some time off work recently, so whilst Mel took the little miniature to various baby groups (I believe dancing and singing is involved, which is why she does it rather than me!), I decided to get out the airbrush and get some camo on those Panzers and Stugs that have been half finished forever.

It did not go well...


Even using VJ airbush paints, the result was far too speckled to be usable.  Unfortunately re-doing the base coat only made it worse:



Oops.  Good job I only practiced on the one Stug!  Back to the brushes then (as shown in the test on the left of the photo).

Still not sure how to rescue that Stug though...

Saturday, 30 May 2015

Churchills Complete

A bit of work still needed finishing off the tank commander, but to all intents and purposes finished.  Could probably do with some stowage but I'll leave that for now.








Painting process was simple.  Spray undercoat of black, then PSC spray over the top, allowing the undercoat to show through in the recesses.  Touch up with VJ Russian Uniform and drybrush with Khaki.  There's a lot of nice detail on the PSC kits, so they come up well.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

That WAS quick!

Very quick update.  Progress on the two PSC Churchills.  When these are billed as being fast build, they're not kidding!  About an hour and a half total build time, including waiting for glue to set, and deciding where to place all those spare track links the kit comes with.


Realised I've made a slight error in giving them the 75mm gun option, which wasn't very common, should've gone with the much more common 6 pounder.  Oh well, they really don't look that different!

Saturday, 23 May 2015

Back again!

The little miniature's scale creep continues well.  She's getting into a regular sleep pattern now, which is giving me a bit of time in the evenings sometimes to do some painting and modelling.

First thing I decided to do was complete the Bedford QLT from Airfix, the companion to this one.

Another nice kit on the whole.  The transmission's a bit fiddly, I ended up simplifying it (I'm a gamer, not a finescale modeller), and I just couldn't get all the bits to go together right on the cab, I seemed to be all fingers and thumbs!  Passengers are from the HAT tank riders set.  Pity Airfix don't include a driver.



Group shot with the QLD

Also been working on the PSC Churchills.  Talk about fast-build...

Thursday, 19 February 2015

New year, New miniatures

Hmm, I seem to have dropped off the internet for a while there.  Apologies to all those whose blogs I meant to comment on but didn't get around to.  The reason is the arrival of a new miniature in the house.

Not the rather nice PSC Churchills my Sister in Law got me for xmas:


Not the PSC Late War German Heavy Weapons, from my Sister, which will certainly come in handy...


Not even the old matchbox toys I randomly picked up from Chesterfield Flea market for some unspecified SF purpose (seriously, why do I do these things!?)


No, none of those.

It's this miniature:


Rosa Lucy, born 2nd January 2015.  Here shown paying attention to a lecture on the different marks of Sherman tanks.

So, the obvious question arises.  Matt or Gloss varnish?

Thursday, 30 October 2014

Getting Ahead

I do like variety in the units I put together for gaming.  With most plastic sets consisting of multiples of the same model there are several ways of achieving this: varying paint schemes (where this is possible); mixing sets, which I do quite a bit, but which can lead to problems with matching scale; and repositioning or swapping heads, limbs etc.  And it's that last one that I spent last night doing (including time spent repeatedly supergluing my thumb and forefinger together),

Most bodies came from the Caesar Panzergrendier set 1, with the new heads coming from the Airfix Afrika Corps set as (a), I have lots spare, and (b) they have some good poses with forage caps and plenty of uncovered helmets on models I wont have a lot of other uses for (the chap surrendering, or the one with the spade, for example).  

In each case I've photographed them next to the original (which are going through bases and finishing touches)





 Not entirely pleased with the head position on the one above, will have to see how it paints up.

And finally, as I ended up with a few headless DAK, I've added some of the discarded Caesar head with the helmet covers.  These will do duty as late war Germans in western Europe quite nicely.

Right, time to get painting!