Monday 30 March 2020

Rubbish scenery for the blasted heath

"When shall we three meet again? In thunder, lightning, or in rain?"

"When the hurly-burly’s done, When the battle’s lost and won."

"That will be ere the set of sun."


A combination of virus quarantine and an energetic five year old in the house (now that schools have closed) forced me into the garden to attempt to reclaim it from brambles (I like to think of it as a wildlife garden).  Inevitably, the gamer in me looked at the rubbish created and thought, "I could do something with that".

I'd been thinking for a bit that the trees in my scenery collection in particular look a bit too neat and manicured and I'd been wondering how to create a more 'blasted heath' feel.

These were made using some twigs from cutting back some dead plants, mounted in milliput on two pence coins, covered in PVA and sand before painting.  Really quick and I'm far more pleased with the result than I probably should be!




They'll be rubbish as cover, but I think will look pretty good on the tabletop.



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! I saw that pumpkin stems work great for stumps. Not sure if you can grow those in jolly old UK but just an idea if you're looking for another easy terrain set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an interesting idea! Yes, pumpkins are a pretty common crop these days, at the right time of year at least! In the meantime you've got me wondering about Butternut Squash, which we can get more often.

      Delete
    2. Those would probably work! You could also dry the other part out and make birdhouses as a side project. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a brilliant idea. I'm off to hunt for twig next time I'm near a wood.

    ReplyDelete