Wednesday 29 June 2022

Citadel Ogre - Matthog








Continuing with my Citadel Ogre obsession, here’s another one from the ‘C23’ range from the ‘80s.  This chap was advertised as ‘Matthog’, an ogre mercenary.  Whilst I like pretty much all the ogres from this period, I would say this is one of the weaker ones.  The sculpting on the creatures back in particular looks rushed and poorly defined.  There’s not much sense of any anatomy going on under the skin.  

That said, I thought he painted up pretty nicely.  I didn’t do much rust effect on the metal parts, but still tried to make it look tarnished and worn - I think it worked.  No contrast paints for the skin this time, tried it but it didn’t have the right depth of colour across such a large area of flesh.


2 comments:

  1. Alan, I agree with you that this isn't one of the better ogre sculpts. I've never loved the very linear slotta-base designs, especially for over-sized miniatures.
    However, your paintjob really rescues the model. The boils on his skin and expression on his face add so much character and interest. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I do wonder if some of these were designed with intention of having g straight tabs originally, some manage to make a virtue of the flat pose (like hrothyogg), others seem to make the most of the legs on the 40mms slotta basea
      to be a bit more dynamic (like the first version of Skragg the Slaughterer)

      Delete