Saturday 15 July 2023

Green, Plastic and Cheap! EM4 Orcs

Following on from the Dwarves, here are the first test pieces of the EM4 orcs.  Again, there are three poses: archer, spear and sword.

I will freely admit the paint job was quick and fairly basic, definitely not my finest work.  I just wanted a general idea of how they would turn out.

I would say that they are cruder than the dwarves - the sculpting on the faces in particular is very soft. It's not great on the Dwarves to be honest, but the beards and helmets compensate.  With these orcs there's nowhere to hide.  That said, they still don't paint up too badly, and they definitely have that Oldhammer vibe.  I've not compared them to the other (former) Grenadier models I own yet, but I suspect they will do just fine filling out the ranks - especially if I can sort some shields for them.  They are certainly in the same sort of general style.

Like the Dwarves, they come on an integral base about 25mm x 25mm - just the right size for Warhammer.  I rebased one onto an MDF base as a test.  It was easy enough to do, but I'm not sure it was really worth the effort, and one of the ankles did show signs of being under stress when I trimmed it off the base (that sinking feeling when the grey plastic goes white...).



They have the same badly placed molding lugs on the back as the Dwarves but, as you can see, they're pretty easy to clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment