Thursday 19 November 2020

Stormcrow

 "He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which his long white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots".






I believe this was a model formerly produced by Grenadier UK, not sure of the sculptor, and clearly based on a certain famous literary character.  

Really pleased with how the shading has worked out on this one, particularly getting a bit of a distinction between the two greys.  I used a lot of drybrushing, gradually a lightly building up the layers, to give a bit of a rough texture to the cloth.  Bottom of the cloak got successive drybrushes with GW Zandri Dust to make it look travel-worn.  

Feather is based on a pheasant - yes I know it was a species technically introduced to England as a game bird, rather than native, but if Tolkien can include tobacco I say 'why not'!



4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! I always loved said literary character. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful work, Alan! I love the fact that you painted this literary character in an accurate fashion - blue hat and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Daughter and I have been reading the Hobbit, she'd never forgive me if I made a mistake :-D

      Delete