Monday 12 April 2021

Tanks, Tanks, Tanks

 A few years back I made some 1/72 Armourfast tanks for my British/Commonwealth forces.  Armourfast are cheap, come two to a box, but are definitely basic, and at the time I wasn't too impressed with the Shermans in particular (the Cromwells aren't bad).  Since then I've mostly built Italeri or PSC.

That said, I've seen a few build of these kits recently that looked quite nice, so I thought I'd revisit them using some of what I've learned in the intervening years, and I'm very glad I did!  With an all over wash of GW Agrax Earthshade, then a drybrush with VJ Russian Uniform and khaki for edge highlights, plus a few bits of stowage, I think they've brushed up quite nice!



Two Shermans (one Firefly).  Crewman is from the HAT Tank Riders set.  Details are still a little soft, but hatches etc look much better.


The Cromwells.  These are a better kit than the Shermans overall, much better detail on panel lines, rivets etc. and took shading and highlighting very well.  Although still with the Armourfast aversion to including any tools on the mold.  Another HAT crewman, although this one looks a bit like he's been caught short (not good for the gunner or loader!).

Bit of a curate's egg here - a diecast commonwealth 105mm Sherman, treated same as above.  As far as I can tell these were only used by Canadian and Polish forces in Italy.  Ah well, it's another tank, and when I'm playing solo I'll just squint at it!



No comments:

Post a Comment