Saturday 8 May 2021

Reiksgard knights

Latest efforts are a whole unit.  I’ve always liked ranks of knights in armour, probably why even my warhammer fantasy armies were human.  Probably a misspent youth watching films like Ivanhoe and Henry V.  

As per a previous post, my first proper Empire army was very much based on 15th Century War of the Roses/Burgundian type figures.  When GW first started producing the more early renaissance type models in the early 1990s I was initially unsure about them.  Then when I got back into Warhammer some years later found I developed a real liking for them.  I've since been gradually collecting those ranges to add to my already overly large Empire force.  

These are the Reiksgard (I'm sticking with the 3rd edition cod-German spellings thank you!), the Emperor's bodyguard and standing army.  The 3rd edition fluff hinted at different chapters of the order throughout the Empire, which I sort of reflected in my knight units using the plastic kit.  These however have been painted more 'traditionally', using reds and whites, and hints of the Altdorf claret and blue.

I think they've turned out pretty nice.







I'll admit to a bit of cheating with the banner.  I wanted to stick with an Old School look, so this is actually the one from the original introduction to the 'modern' Empire from White Dwarf issue 147, scanned and reprinted.

 They are also lacking shields at he moment, although to be fair that does mean you get to see the armour better, and shields would be pretty anachronistic with this style of armour.  I will do them, I just need to work out where I've put them!

 I also have units of Knights Panther and White Wolves waiting for their turn, plus some of the older knight models - they're significantly larger models, so will get prepped for their role as 'High Helms' - a secular order of knights briefly referenced in Ravening Hordes as exceptionally tall, but not particularly bright, warriors.

Just wish GW had made some attempt to update the horses since 1992, they do get a bit samey after a while!


And finally...

I had some company whilst finishing these off.  Here's the Little Miniature painting a plastic dwarf.



3 comments:

  1. Great models and fantastic unit! I think they'd look better without shields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I'll do the shields in case I field them in a game, but attach them with some blue tac.

      Delete