Friday 18 July 2014

Last DAK and bits 'n bobs

This is the last of the Afrika Korps, honest!  At least, for the time being ;-)


Obligatory family portrait. The loader for the MG34 is from the Airfix German Infantry.  Not a great model, but loaders seem to be so few and far between that beggars can't be choosers. The marching boots have been painted to look like the older canvas desert boot that was optimistically issued as 'tropical' kit, and doesn't look bad if I say so myself.  Colours were a mix of Iraqi Sand, US Field Drab and a roughly 50/50 Brown Violet/Iraqi Sand.  My usual flesh tone has gone a bit thick and stodgy, so I tried out some of the newer GW ones on these.  The 'Cadian Fleshtone' was ideal for tanned European skin, and the paint was just the right consistency, count me impressed!


Definitely my favourite pose of the bunch, and possibly Airfix's best sculpt in this scale and period (possibly because it's based on a 1/32 original).  Love the spare grenades tucked into the belt.  I've painted this one several times, as it works well for north-west Europe as well.



And for variety, a browning team for the US.  Airfix gunner and Matchbox loader (no idea where the original .50cal went, but no loss as it's a bit poor anyway).  The belt is being loaded too far back in the MG, but never mind.


And here's that MG34 combo again, sporting this season's 'in' colours, Field Grey.

Now onto a couple of new projects lurking in the wings...

First up, a nice little 99p ebay bargain.  And a new theatre to play with, here's a taster:


And also time to take to the air and spread my wings with a little treat to myself!

7 comments:

  1. A great bunch of figures Alan. So is the green bloke for an Aussie force or some Chindits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not decided yet Sarge. With a fairly general jungle green paintjob they should do for either, but there's a bit of me tempted by the unusualness of the Nigerian Regiment, who served with the Chindits.

      Delete
  2. Great DAK figures. I see the brown straps now they look great. A+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I took these with the camera phone rather than y DSLR, and it does seem to make a difference.

      Delete
  3. Well the DAK look great. I must add that all of my Airfix US bipod MGs have those Matchbox loaders and I also have a number of Airfix German DAK LMGs painted for NWE and posed exactly like yours with those precious, if rather poorly sculpted, loaders from the Airfix German infantry!. All very nice stuff...

    Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. At least the Airfix loader is doing it the right way around, unlike the Matchbox DAK one!

      Delete
    2. Ah yes very true, I had forgotten about that little stuff up. Those Matchbox Afrika Korps MGs were the only plastic German tripods in town for quite a while but happily Revell came to the rescue with a rather nice replacement. The Matchbox German infantry had a rather nice LMG/loader combo but it always confounded me why there was only one of each in a box of 49 soldiers!

      Cheers, Dave

      Delete