Friday 29 September 2023

Calling in air support (Empire style)

This is one of those models that has been sat uncompleted for a good couple of decades, consigned to the 'I'm too intimidated to tackle it' pile.  However once the little miniature saw it, she was absolutely insistent that I complete it.  Who am I to refuse the commands of an eight year old?

And now I have, and very pleased I am too!  This is also the largest mini I have done that isn't a vehicle.

I love this model - it has a real sense of movement.  The more recent plastic Empire Griffin may have size, but it lacks a sense of movement, and is just too big.  This one has a feel of sinuous power, and ou can almost feel those massive wings beating the air as it lifts up (and then pounces down again on some poor unfortunate soul).


Part of my problem with this model is that I make my own life difficult.  One of my other hobbies is birdwatching - that meant I was incapable of just painting some brown wings and moving on.  No, I had to do something with some basis in reality (yes, I know it's half eagle, half lion, and entirely mythical, but that's not how my mind works!).

I actually started on this some years ago.  My initial attempt was based on an Osprey - dark browns and whites.  The problem was that, whilst I was pleased with the underside of the wings, the top view was just dark brown and uninteresting, and the head just didn't quite work - it lacked impact.  You can see it in the picture below - your eye should be drawn to that head and beak, but it isn't. 

 

So I revised my thinking and based the upper wings on a Red Kite instead.  If you've never seen one, they are awesome birds of prey - bigger than the more common buzzard, and with beautiful colouring.  It's bizarre to think they used to be a common sight in the centre of London.

Much better

 

I retained some of the 'Osprey' patterning under the wings, as I was already pleased with it and didn't want to paint over it.  So my Griffon is really a hybrid of a Red Kite, Osprey, and a Lion. And I'm OK with that.

I'd painted the rider up a while ago, so he just needed a little touching up and detailing.  I do need to find a shield for him - not sure where the original one has gone

"Fly me closer so I can hit them with my sword!"

Look at that beak!

 As an extra treat, here are some photos I took of Red Kites in Rhayader in Wales, all the way back in 2009.  They're awesome, and they feed them there, so you get a really good view.





No comments:

Post a Comment